Wednesday 2 October 2013

Sometimes, don't you just feel like giving up?

The wife has been working on her online business for three weeks. When sales has stopped coming in, it gets very stressful for her. In her mind, she starts to think about getting a job as it pays her better and the income is more stable. She can think of so many reasons to support the idea of getting a salary job. This all comes down to one thing and one thing only. She is not determined and focused enough to build her own business.

I still remember that she used to complain about her old job almost every other day, e.g. long working hours, too few holidays and too little pay. The list goes on and on. This might sound familiar to you. But what is interesting is that after they quit a job they hate, the first thing they do is to jump into another job.

I had a couple of jobs before and I really hated it. I hated it so much so that I told myself that I would do whatever it takes to have my own business and never ever have to work for anyone again. For my wife, the pain of having to work for someone else is just not strong enough. Over time, the pain she once felt about having a job dissipates. When you don't feel the pain, it is easy for you to fall back into the same trap again.

To help her become focused in her online business, I drew her a timeline with quantifiable goals for every month for the next one year. To do that, we first worked out her ultimate goal which is to have 10k per month after one year. Then we broke it down into smaller monthly income targets and even daily sales target. That way, she will not feel lost or feel her ultimate goal is unattainable.

Human psychology is a very interesting thing. When we set a five year plan for ourselves, we always think there is still a lot of time left. Also the goal itself appears very intimidating and unrealistic. Let say, we aim to achieve a sales target of 1 million in 3 years time. 1 million is a very big number for us. I have never seen this kind of money before, let alone churning out 1 million revenue. It is unimaginable for me. However, if you break it down by year, quarter and month ( you can even try breaking it down into weekly targets), it all seems manageable and achievable all of a sudden.



Hope you find this post useful!

Good night, my lovely wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment